On January 4, 2017, I embarked on a brand new journey as a first-time intern with 3D Digital. I’m Savanna Kiefer, a communication student studying public relations at the University of North Florida. While heading to 3D Digital on my first day, I remember being nervous and wondering what sort of tasks I would learn during the first week. At the end of the day, I was grinning from ear-to-ear filled with excitement for all of the amazing days at 3D I knew were ahead of me.
So what does an integrated marketing intern at a digital agency do? Short answer- a lot of things! Long answer- tons of tasks including writing web copy, creating social media posts, learning about Google Adwords campaigns, brainstorming ideas for company-wide newsletters, organizing creative briefs, and so much more. On top of that, I also learned the best workplaces have Nerf gun wars and random glitter bomb explosions when creativity is running low and energy needs to be amped up.
During my time at 3D Digital, I also worked closely with their video production crew on a wide variety of projects as a production assistant. As a production assistant, I also learned that film crews have their own kind of lingo and unspoken codes. I quickly learned to "fail fast" and pick up on what not to do as a PA. Here are the top five favorite things that I learned:
1) Don't stand in the doorway on set, ever. Everyone will know you're the production assistant.
2) Craft service is the greatest. Free food + endless supply of snacks = a very happy crew!
3) Comfortable shoes are key. You will be standing all day and cute flats aren't so cute at the end of the day when your toes are swollen.
4) If you don't carry a Sharpie on you at all times, you will get scolded. Having a roll of tape on you isn't a bad idea either.
5) Sleep is for the weak. Get accustomed to 5:00 am call times.
After looking back on these past couple months, I’m blown away by all of the new skills I learned at 3D Digital and grateful for all of the incredible people I met along the way. They truly do know how to define, design and deliver to any type of client.